· On Jan. 17, Soroptimist International of South Lake Tahoe will honor 11 young women for their academic and community achievements. These recipients are chosen by the staff at their respective schools. From South Tahoe High school recipients are Jessie Brown, Lulu Gutierrez, Celeste Holmes, Shelby Lyon, Evelyn Munguia Reyes, and Theresa Sandborn. From Whittell High School recipients are Tatum Bunnett, Madison Evans, Madison Peterson, Makena Snipes, and Gabriela Trachsel.
· Kirk Walder and Bryan Oland have been appointed to the Douglas County Planning Commission.
· Zephyr Cove Library on Jan. 24 at 3:30pm is showing “Despicable Me 3” (rated PG). “Fargo” (rated R) will be shown Jan. 27 at 2pm. This movie is geared toward adults. The movies and popcorn are free. These events are sponsored by the Friends of the Douglas County Public Library.
· The annual polar plunge benefiting Special Olympics will be March 17 at Zephyr Cove Resort. For more info, go online.
· Jim Holmes is now chair of the Placer County Board of Supervisors.