· The Drug Free Coalition will be hosting a drug take back day at the Earth Day celebration on April 29 from 10am-3pm at Bijou Community Park in South Lake Tahoe.
· On May 6 at 10am Peter Mires will present Mark Twain on Architecture. He will share all he learned during his research fellowship at the Elmira College Center for Mark Twain Studies. By pairing passages gleaned from Twain’s work with examples of extant buildings, Mires illustrates Twain’s comments, opinions, and tastes—humorous or otherwise—on the subject of American architecture. The free presentation will be at the South Lake Tahoe Library on Rufus Allen Boulevard.
· Comments are being sought until May 17 on the El Dorado County Health and Human Services Agency, Behavioral Health Division’s fiscal year 2017-18 Mental Health Services Act. The draft plan is online.
· Lake Valley Fire Protection District on April 15 had an awards ceremony for employees and civilians. Recognized were: firefighter of the year – Ted Jackson; civilian award of merit – Jacob Zorn; civilian award of merit – Ian Whitmarsh; life saver award – Alex Vaughn, Wes Long, Mike Anderson, Luke Anderson and Joe McAvoy; medal of valor – Brad Zlendick.
· Each Wednesday in May from 5:30-7pm the master gardeners at the Truckee Demonstration Garden will provide a history lesson on each plant, planting instructions, and attendees will receive free cultivars to take home. The cost to attend is based on a self-selecting sliding scale from $10 to $20. Tickets will be available online beginning two weeks prior to the event.