Teen at Camp Sacramento died from allergic reaction

By Suzanne Phan, News 10

It was supposed to be the last day of a family vacation at a popular summer camp, but it ended in tragedy for one Sacramento area family when a loved one had a fatal allergic reaction.

Relatives says 13-year-old Natalie Giorgi died from a severe allergic reaction to peanut butter while she was attending Camp Sacramento off Highway 50 in El Dorado County. Now, the family says it really wants to get the message out about how dangerous and deadly food allergies can be.

Natalie Giorgi

Natalie Giorgi

Giorgi was very careful about what she ate and always made sure her food did not have nuts according to family and friends.

But, she had unknowingly eaten a Rice Krispies-type snack with peanut butter.

On Friday night, the final night of camp, there was entertainment and refreshments. A dessert tray was put out in a dark area of the camp. Giorgi reached for a treat and took a bite out of it. She knew something wasn’t right, spit it out and told tell her mother, who also tasted the treat. They later realized the treat contained peanut butter. Natalie felt fine for about 20 minutes, but then began vomiting, had trouble breathing and went into cardiac arrest.

Read the whole story

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

About author

This article was written by admin


Comments (2)
  1. MTT says - Posted: July 29, 2013

    That’s sad.

    what can you say.

    I suspect the person who made the treats had no idea. Just going the extra mile to make camp comfortable for the kids.

  2. ljames says - Posted: July 30, 2013

    I am sure – but people do need to be aware that peanuts and shellfish allergies are not really that uncommon and they can be quickly fatal. It seems to be something no one thinks of unless they have such a condition in their family. It’s unbearable to think of this family and loosing their beautiful child in such a needless way….