Tahoe Douglas firefighters were able to keep a chimney fire from spreading to the rest of the house Monday night.
The call came in about 6pm Jan. 14 that a house in the Skyland area was on fire.
“This was extinguished without damage to the structure,” Fire Marshal Eric Guevin told Lake Tahoe News.
He said green, uncured wood is the worst because it excretes the most amount of creosote. It’s creosote build up that leads to chimney fires. He added that burning paper is frowned upon because it burns fast and can ignite the creosote.
Guevin recommends people sweep their chimneys annually to help prevent chimney fires.
— Lake Tahoe News staff report