The Angora Fire Lookout served the Tahoe basin’s fire surveillance needs for many years until it was replaced in the late 1970s by improvements in aerial and satellite technology.
The first lookout was built in 1924 and was one of many standard lookout designs conceived by forester Coert DuBois in 1914 to be used by the Forest Service nationwide.
This structure was later converted into a small residence for the individuals in charge of the lookout. In 1935, the Civilian Conservation Corps constructed the current lookout alongside the original and a third structure was built in the 1940s that served as the garage. All three buildings are eligible for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places.
Now the U.S. Forest Service needs volunteers to revitalize the lookout complex on Angora Ridge near South Lake Tahoe in order to preserve part of Tahoe’s fire observation history.
Groups or individuals who can spend a day or two this month helping paint and refurbish these historic buildings are being sought.
For information, contact Tara McCarthy at (530) 543.2766 or email@example.com.