· At the Sept. 12 Lake Tahoe Unified School District board meeting the elected are expected to approve a 2 percent salary increase for Superintendent Jim Tarwater. This brings his annual base salary to $188,917.81, with an additional $3,428 for his master’s and doctorate stipend, for a total of $192,345.81. This is retroactive to Jan. 1. His contract is now good through June 2020.
· Suicide Prevention Awareness and Mental Health 101 will be presented entirely in Spanish on Sept. 12, 5-7pm at the Family Resource Center on Spruce Avenue in South Lake Tahoe.
· El Dorado County Republican Party is hosting a dinner to honor first responders. It will be Sept. 21 starting at 5:30pm at the Rescue Community Center, 4180 Green Valley Road in Rescue. Guest speakers include Assemblyman Kevin Kiley; El Dorado County District 3 Supervisor Brian Veerkamp (former El Dorado Hills fire chief); and Sheriff John D’Agostini. Dinner tickets are $30 per person, or $35 at the door. A portion of all proceeds will be donated to fire and law enforcement charities. To purchase tickets, contact Todd White at 530.417.0807 or Terry Gherardi at 530.677.4294.
· According to a study by UC Davis, Highway 50 in El Dorado County is the 10th worst highway in the state when it comes to vehicle accidents involving wildlife.
· FireFest will be at the Hard Rock Lake Tahoe on Sept. 30 from 10am-3pm.