Reigning ACC champion Mark Mulder will go into the final round on Sunday with a three point lead.
After two days of play, the former Major League pitcher has 48 points. (The American Century Championship uses the Stableford format for scoring.) Tied for second are Mardy Fish and Derek Lowe. Lowe was atop the leader board after play on July 14.
Chad Pfeifer and John Smoltz round out the top five.
Here’s what the NBC broadcasters had to say:
- Steve Sands: “Mark Mulder sitting atop the leader board once again just like he did in 2015 and 2016, when he won in back-to-back fashion.”
- Peter Jacobsen: “I’m impressed with (Derek Lowe’s) attitude this week. He’s smiling, having a good time. Let’s see how he handles the pressure on Sunday.”
- Jimmy Roberts: “You guys know how I love a good story. This story of Mardy Fish is a remarkable one. Had to pull out of the 2012 U.S. Open with an anxiety disorder. He has gotten his life back together, and is quite a golfer. Having a great time this week.”
Quotes from players:
- Stephen Curry speaking with NBC’s Michele Tafoya on 17: “It is always fun the people you play with, the courses that you get to see. Obviously I’m competitive so I like to challenge myself. Just have a passion for it and every time I get to play I love it.”
- Justin Timberlake speaking with Tafoya on 17: Tafoya – “A little birdie told me that you are back in the studio. What are you working on?” Timberlake: “I was mostly making excuses for my golf game [to NBC’s Charlie Rymer] but yeah I have been in the studio for a month straight mixing what maybe something coming soon.”
Play starts at 7:30am July 16. Curry, Timberlake and Tony Romo will again be a threesome. They are set to go at 9:30am. All the pairings may be found online.
— Lake Tahoe News staff report