El Dorado and Amador county wineries scored well in the annual California State Fair Commercial Wine Competition.
This year’s wine competition consisted of 2,881 wine entries from 743 winery brands. Seventy-two judges on 18 panels awarded 57 double golds and 254 golds.
The first State Fair Wine Competition was in 1855. The competition is the oldest and one of the most prestigious wine events in the country. Top wines including Best of Region and Best of California winners will be featured at the State Fair, July 10-26.
Regional winners include:
Best of Show
Best of Show Red
- Double Gold 98, Lewis Grace, 2012 Tempranillo, El Dorado
Best of Show Pink
- Double Gold 98, Gold Hill Vineyard, 2014 Barbera Rosé, El Dorado
Best Microwinery Other
- Double Gold 98, Red Bucket Wine, 2012 Barbera Rosé, El Dorado County
Best of Region
Best of Sierra Foothills Red
- Double Gold 98, Lewis Grace, 2012 El Dorado, Tempranillo
Best of Sierra Foothills White
- Gold 95, Helwig Vineyards & Winery, 2014 Shenandoah Valley, Amador County, Sauvignon Blanc
Best of Other California Red
- Gold 94, Heringer Estates Family Winery, 2012 Clarksburg, Aglianico
Best of California Wines
Best Cabernet Sauvignon
- Double gold 98, Lewis Grace, 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon Estate, El Dorado
Best Italian Red Varietal Blend
- Gold 94, Nello Olivo, 2012 Toscanello , El Dorado County.
Best Red Generic
- Double gold 98, Zucca Mountain Vineyards, 2013 Sorprendere Sierra Foothills
Best Traditional Vintage Port
- Double gold 98, St. Amant Winery, 2013 Bootleg Port, Amador County.